This post takes you through a glimpse of a series of steps in creating infographics that are impactful and engaging.
What Is An Infographic?
In simple words, infographics are visual ways to represent information. The term infographic is derived from the words’ information and graphics.
Human brain loves images!
And this has been proved by loads of research findings.Infographics have 30X more chances to be read than a paragraph of text that conveys the same meaning. Click To Tweet
Pairing visuals and texts create a lasting impact on the memory of a viewer and can be used as a piece of persuasive information sharing medium. Infographics also fall on top of the list for the type of content which people prefer to share.
I can give you 3 legit reasons that make infographics a perfect tool of communicating with your customers!
1. Ease of creation
When compared to any other mediums of visual content, Infographic creation has the lowest entry barrier. They don’t call for huge budgets or professionally trained technicians to create.
In fact, with support from easy to use multiple infographic creating tools available online, infographic creation can be possible for any average individual!
2. Usage versatility
Infographics find usage at multiple platforms from blogs to websites to social media to Pinterest boards and even as marketing material in the form of physically distributed flyers!
3. Answer to information overload
The internet is flooded with everyone sharing tons of marketing material. In this ocean, it is hard to hold the attention of a prospective customer for more than a few seconds with text alone. A well-made infographic works as a perfect remedy in holding a reader’s attention.A Digital Marketer Has Less Than 10 seconds To Generate Interest From A Viewer, Until The Viewer Decides To Quit And Move On. Click To Tweet
Now that you have the answer to “why infographics”, we take you through the steps in creating infographics and how to get started with infographics.
When To Use Infographics?
With the volume of data put up online daily, it is a herculean task for a business owner to ensure the content generated from his business reaches the target customers and doesn’t go unnoticed in the online jungle!
Communicating via visual tools and designs is one way to grab the targeted viewer’s attention and ensure the information is understood and processed easily by them.Communicating With Graphics Ensures Better Retention By The Target Audience. Click To Tweet
So as a business owner, ensuring infographics are included in your marketing arsenal can get you the following 10 business benefits:
- Visual representations are an easy means to catch audiences’ attention as the human brain can process visuals easier than text.
- An excellent medium that can decrease space utilized and contribute to increasing promotion.
- Attractive visual content can compel people to share the infographic in their networks and circles thus enhancing the chances of it going viral.
- Infographics can become an important source for backlinks when used by other websites and an abundance of such inbound links contribute to boosting search rankings for your website.
- Attractive and captivating infographics become a natural means to drive additional traffic to your business website and increase brand awareness.
- Interesting and well-created infographics contribute multifold towards increasing subscribers and followers.
- Infographics are easily embeddable.
- As infographics can convey a higher volume of information in short and crisp formats, they are easier to understand even for people with lesser language skills.
- Apart from online visibility, the same infographics can also be used in an offline medium like print materials and brochures.
- Infographics can be tracked with ease with analytics when embedded with code. This can give business owners engagement data like who viewed, clicked, shared, duration of the glance, etc. which helps to understand customer behavior which in turn helps to determine strategies.
Things To Be Prepared To Create An Infographic
Are you wondering how to make a professional infographic?
Keeping the following guide to creating infographics noted or bookmarked which can help you create a clear and content-rich infographics
- Be clear while defining the goal you wish the infographic to attain. It should be informational, problem-solving, thought-provoking, etc. A clear idea of the goal to be achieved is primarily the most important of all the steps in creating infographics.
- Create a well-defined outline of the infographic. Talk about the story you wish to convey and select the design based on the story so that the result is crisp and attention-holding.
- Do some serious research and collect data. Data collection and analysis calls for a lot of effort and dedication. Ensure that you do not compromise on the accuracy and authenticity of the data.
- Create an outline. Deciding where the text would go and where the graphic is a vital guide to creating infographics successfully.
- Creativity is key. The attention span of an average reader is very brief. So unless you are presenting something unique, creative, and high quality infographic, it becomes difficult to hold their attention. You need to think outside the box. Just plain images coupled with text cannot be termed as ‘creative’.
- Always remember, an infographic is about ‘show’ and not ‘tell’. Ensure your visuals in the form of icons, graphics, charts, images, and the like are engaging as well as information conveying.
- Yes, infographics are all about images, but it doesn’t mean text can be ignored. The font you choose for the text has a significant impact on its readability. Ensure the font is easy to read.
- Make it attractively colorful, with the right color combinations that make them look attractive. Ensure to avoid bright hues, and stick to pleasant and warm tones. Using more than 3 to 4 colors in a single template is not a good idea and should be clearly kept in mind all through the designing and steps in creating infographics phase.
- Do not cram up a lot of information.
- Do not overcrowd graphics too! Leaving a little white space will make it look more appealing and ensure it is easy to read. Overcrowding designs make it difficult to process the information being conveyed.
- The same goes for the content you want to share. Just address the most important things. Trying to talk about a lot of things in a limited area is not only difficult to create but also not difficult to interpret. This forms the key aspect to remember when you are pondering about how to make a professional infographic!
- Always add a call-to-action for the readers like sharing the infographic in their circles or contacting you, etc.
- The usage of active voice for the text is more preferable.
Keeping all the above discussed pointers in mind when planning on the steps in creating infographics ensures a successful and engaging outcome.
Types Of Infographics
Infographics can be created in various forms. The purpose and information to communicate are parameters that decide on the type of infographic to be used. Also, the intended target audience is a major parameter to consider the type of infographic to be used.
We also need to understand that it is not always possible to strictly categorize an infographic into a particular type as a good infographic has multiple elements and is created depending on the subject on hand.
Let’s dive into some most popular type of infographics-
|Type Of Infographic||Best When You Need To Communicate|
|Statistical infographic||Statistics utilizing different types of charts|
|Informational infographic||New or specialized concepts|
|Timeline infographic||Important dates and an overview of events|
|Process infographic||New or specialized concepts.|
|Geographic infographic||About location-based data, demographic data.|
|Comparison infographic||Options in an unbiased way or to make one option seem better.|
|Hierarchical infographic||Information from highest to lowest or vice-versa.|
|List infographic||Assortment of tips/ list of resources/ group of examples|
|Resume infographic||Visual documentation of resumes|
|Anatomical infographic||Anatomy of people or things|
Most of these types of infographics already have a few pre-decided options for a step by step infographic template and drawing inspiration from some or all of them to create your own is a good idea.
Best Tools To Create Infographics
Infographics are powerful tools! And when you look at them, you are more than likely to feel infographic creation requires a lot of talent to create. But that’s not true!
With each passing day, the digital world has witnessed the launch of several specialized tools that can make the entire infographic making process very user friendly.
Below are the top 5 best tools to create infographics:
|Infographic Making Software||Free Version||Paid Version||Number of free templates||Videos||Animation||Downloading||Noteworthy Feature|
|Canva||Available||Different subscriptions for business/education/ non profits||100+||Not Supported||No||Possible||Basic free plan is loaded with features|
|Piktochart||Available only for students||Different subscriptions for Lite/ Pro/ Education/Non profits||35||Supported||No||Possible||Detailed step-by-step tutorials|
|Easel.ly||Available||Different subscriptions for Business/ Teachers/ Students/ Non profits||1000+||Supported||No||Possible||Registration not mandatory to use the free design sandbox|
|Visme||Available||Different subscriptions for Teacher/Student/ Business/ Team/ Complete version||45+||Supported||Possible||Possible||Possible to create Interactive infographics with animations, links, and pop-ups|
|Venngage||Available only for students||Different subscriptions for business/education/ non profits||50+||Not Supported||No||Not Possible||Loaded gallery and inspiration ideas, updated almost daily|
How to make an infographic on CANVA
Canva is one of the most uniquely, and brilliantly designed Infographic platforms. Its user-friendliness makes it a good option for both designers and non-designers to create professional-quality infographics.
Its powerful drag and drop editor feature makes it easier to create designs.
With loads of free templates, user-friendly features, an enormous gallery of photos, frames, fonts, grids, and the option to use your own images, Canva is definitely a popular choice when looking for the best tools to create infographics.
What takes the limelight:
- Option to create 2 folders to organize designs
- Free multiple access to up to 10 team members
- 1 GB storage space
How to make an infographic on Piktochart
Piktochart can help even non-designers create infographics like a Pro.
It offers a huge storehouse of fully customizable and editable themes, retina-ready images, graphs, objects, icons, graphics, rich design toolkit, and the option to embed videos, making infographics creation a pleasurable experience.
It offers solutions for presentations, printing, and infographics. It also allows sharing projects, team template customization, watermark removal, PDF export, password protection, animates SVG’s and icons, and annotated commenting.
What takes the limelight:
- Annotated commenting
- Project sharing
- Team template customization
How to make an infographic on Easel.ly
Easel.ly is simple and has just 6 major commands- backgrounds, templates, shapes, objects, text, and upload.
With 1000’s of free step by step infographic templates and the option to embed YouTube videos and other images it is a perfect infographic tool for the education sector. Its templates also have pre-inserted graphics that can be customized.
With Easel.ly you can create flowcharts, annotated maps, announcements, instruction guides, and timelines.
Although it has a limited number of design options and low-download quality, its ease of use still makes it a highly chosen platform for infographic creation. It is based on the Cloud.
What takes the limelight:
- Changing backgrounds
- Addition of objects
- Dynamic charts
How to make an infographic on Visme
Visme is one of the newest cool infographic makers. Its multi-faceted design tool makes it perfect for marketers to choice for the best tools to create infographics.
It offers a 3-step approach to designing. It allows you to create interactive presentations, infographics, ad banners, animations, mock-ups, customer layouts, and more with its interesting advanced options for the arrangement of elements, effects, and animation.
It has a wide-ranging library loaded with templates, icons, shapes, and objects to select from. It supports inbuilt animations. It also has a built-in analytics feature. It offers 45+ category-wise templates like Business, Health & Medical, Resume, Hierarchical, etc. It also allows you to create your own custom layouts.
Overall, Visme’s simple and intuitive solutions make it a great infographic creating platform.
What takes the limelight
- Graphs and tables
- Images and icons
- Maps and data widgets
How to make an infographic on Venngage
Venngage offers a systematic categorization of templates into – Beginner – Intermediate – Advanced. Its 50+ templates are grouped into eight categories like Informational, Statistical, Charts, Process, Geographic, Comparison, Tutorial, and Timeline. This supportive editor offers all the possible infographic creation tools along with a huge pictogram gallery.
With Venngage you can also insert “Widgets,” like charts, maps, interactive high-resolution PDF’s and team templates. Apart from infographics, Venngage can also be used to create reports, promotions, posters, and social media posts.
Venngage can contribute towards boosting sales with support from its brilliant platform that has the power to convert visitors to clients by presenting captivating visuals and data-driven results.
The only drawback with Venngage is that you cannot share or download your designed infographic in the free subscription.
What takes the limelight
- Templates and infographics
- Charts and icons
- Privacy and sharing
By now you have very well understood that although infographics are easy to process, they are not easy to create. Keeping the above pointers and seeking help from the above-discussed applications is sure to make the entire process easy, quick, and more effective too. The key to creating winning content for your target audience is understanding when to use infographics and when to use text to convey the same information.
Hopefully, this write up on steps in creating infographics will help you to create amazing infographics for your business that your target audience will fall in love with! But remember, missing even one of the above-discussed elements is likely to lead you to an unsuccessful infographic.
If you wish to seek professional help to create infographics for your business, contact us at Towardsd90 today!